Does the length of the drive determine how adventurous you are? Are you a one-hour drive from the Twin Cities? Two-hour? Please don’t tell me you are a three-hour drive adventurer! Whatever level of adventure you have in mind, there is a place for you to visit in the good ol’ state of Minnesota. The land of 10,000 lakes.
Where does a one-hour drive from the Twin Cities get you?
• Teddy Bear Park in Stillwater
• Taylors Falls for a scenic boat tour or hike
• Hastings to go hiking in Afton State Park
• World’s biggest boot at Red Wing Shoes and Barn Bluff for views of the Mississippi
• Lake Pepin for swimming and boating
• The Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge in Zimmerman
A two-hour drive? Gather your road trip games and get ready to have some fun!
• Duluth to see the Lift Bridge and Light Houses
• Austin, home of the SPAM Museum
• Wabasha for the National Eagle Center and a guided kayak tour of the Mississippi
• Kellogg to Lark Toys for a ride on the hand-carved wooden carousel
• Redwood Falls to enjoy the outdoor scenery at Ramsey Park
Three-hours is probably the max for everyone.
Charge up your devices for you and the kids and don’t forget to buy the beef jerky! You mean business with this trip.
• Three Bears Waterpark in Brainerd/Baxter
• Two Harbors to search for agates on the beach
• Moorehead for an educational visit to the Hjemkomst Center
• Soudan for a tour of the Underground Mine State Park
Fuel up and discover a new town, state park or ice cream parlor and be ready to come back to the cities with a review to share with friends!